Before starting a business trip

Before you start a business trip abroad, please inform yourself of the safety and vaccination advice by the Federal Foreign Office

Before activities in the tropics, subtropics and for other stays abroad with particular climatic strains and risks of infection, there is the obligation to undertake medical precautions, in accordance with Part 4 of the attachment to the Verordnung zur arbeitsmedizinischen Vorsorge (ArbMedVV - Ordinance for Preventive Occupational Medicine). Before making such trips, please make an appointment in good time with the CAU's Occupational Health and Safety Service  under -3267.


What are business trips

§ 2 Bundesreisekostengesetz (BRKG) - German Travel Expenses Act

1) Business trips are trips to conduct business outside of the workplace. They must, with the exception of business trips at the place of work or residence, be ordered or approved in writing or electronically, unless such an order or approval is ruled out according to the business traveller's office or the nature of the business. Business trips should only be made if they are necessary for business reasons. Business trips are also trips on account of transfers, secondments or temporary duty.

2) The length of the business trip is determined by the departure from and arrival at home, unless the business trip begins or ends at work.

The term 'Dienstgang'  has been deleted without replacement. We now also refer to trips at the place of work or residence as so-called business trips, for which written approval is still not required, however.

Who is a business traveller and who can claim travel expenses

Business travellers are members of the CAU, normally professors or employees who are conducting business on behalf of Kiel University (CAU) outside of their workplace (CAU campus grounds).
Those individuals who do not belong to the CAU, such as guest lecturers, for example, can also invoice travel expenses under certain conditions, as so-called 'external staff'. As they do not make a business trip application, they are not subject to insurance cover.
The following people can invoice travel expenses:

  • Business travellers as described above,
  • Guests of the CAU,
  • Those travelling as part of job interviews, under consideration of the special provisions,
  • Students travelling on behalf of the CAU as part of their activities.

In cases of doubt, please contact the responsible case worker. .

Financing business trips

Source of funds

Business trips are invariably financed either by the basic CAU budget (federal state resources) or by third party funds, if you are travelling as part of a third party funded project. In addition, the expenses for business trips can also be paid from other sources. When applying for a business trip, you must specify which funds are to finance the travel expenses. The following information is normally required for this:

  • Federal state resources, third party funds or another investor,
  • The funds centre number; behind this is your institute, your department or your institution,
  • Title,
  • The name of the project, if applicable,
  • The accounting section, if applicable.

You can obtain information on the points above from the secretariat responsible for you, or directly in the travel expenses division for the Central Administration.

The amount of reimbursement

Business trips are always invoiced on the basis of the Bundesreisekostengesetz (German Travel Expenses Act). However, special regulations by an investor can be applicable (e.g. rates by the DAAD - German Academic Exchange Service).

When applying for a business trip, you must specify whether the funds are to be paid to the amount of the legal regulation (BRKG). If this is the case, the traveller is reimbursed with travel expenses, a daily and overnight allowance, as well as miscellaneous costs as described in  Entitlement to travel expense allowance, daily allowance, etc.

In addition, travel expenses can also be reimbursed in the form of a subsidy up to a certain amount, or certain parts (such as the daily allowance) can be excluded from reimbursement, or only individual components are financed, such as only the travel expenses or only accommodation costs. In these cases, a calculation in accordance with the Bundesreisekostengesetz (German Travel Expenses Act) will also be carried out first, and the amount to be reimbursed will then be appropriately reduced.

Making a business trip application

Before starting a business trip, an application for this must be made. By 2015, the entire university will convert to using the online procedure "WinTrip Advanced". After that, the traditional forms will only be used in exceptional cases (such as in the event of a system failure). Those institutions which do not yet have access to WinTrip will still make the applications on paper forms;

Please find out about the amount of refundable expenses before deciding on a form of transport or accommodation!


Applying for advance payments

General administrative provisions to the BRKG (BRKGVwV) for § 3 (Bundesreisekostengesetz - German Travel Expenses Act) BRKG

Business travellers can demand an advance payment of 80% of the anticipated travel expense reimbursement if this is expected to exceed 200 EUR. If business travellers possess a personal credit card, obtained as part of a business agreement, advance payments should generally be foregone, if the expected expenditure is covered by the credit balance.
At the CAU, the limit of 200 EUR (anticipated travel expense reimbursement) mentioned above applies regarding entitlement to advance payments.